Motiee MoMoot Mahhay/Sutimiv-Pa'alat/Sutimiv Pa'alat/
Jacob Gutierrez Executive Director of Keepers
of Indigenous Ways
“Because of the Harrington Notes, we are able to Document this rock, vital information to our Tongva Heritage.”
Toveemur: 2008, Pt. Vicente area, Palos Verdes, California. Photo by Bill McCawley.
Toveemur Rock:early 1900's picture taken by JPHarrington, Pt. Vicente area, Palos Verdes, Calif.
Toveemur: 2008, Point Vicente area, Palos Verdes, California. Photo by Bill McCawley.
Learn more by purchasing Bill McCawley's Book "The First Angelinos" at the Pt. Vicente Interpretive
Center or schedule a talk from one of our Cultural Educators by calling 310/464-1821
our reconnection to the "Toveemur Totaa/Rock"- Every Summer Solstise in June. This is part of spiritual
journey. Join us as we celebrate this momentus occasion by visiting the site, when you have the opportunity. You might
want to say a prayer
or sing a song or just enjoy this gorgeous area.
Point Vicente/in the "Village of Toveemonga"
the City of Rancho Palos Verdes,
East of Point Verdes, off Palos Verdes Dr. South. This Scenic point welcomes those
who make the effort and follow a dirt trail
leading down to the rocky beach. Parking
and restrooms are available on the bluff above. Anemone, porcelain crab and
nudibranch habitat make this a popular cove
for diving. Anglers shore fish for bass,
surf perch, and rockfish. Toveemonga = Village of the Little Brush Rabbits or Village of the Dolphins
Point Vicente Lighthouse-It was built in 1926 by the US Lighthouse Service. Point Vicente was named in 1792 by English explorer
George Vancouver in honor of his friend Father Vicente Santa Maria of Mission San Buenaventura. The priest accompanied Vancouver
on one of his expeditions along the West Coast. The light house had a steam powered fog horn that could be heard for miles.
In 1934 a radio station joined the lighthouse and foghorn. The lighthouse had civilian keepers until the US Coast Guard took
over operations in 1939. During World War II, the 1,000 watt bulb with its 20 mile visibility was replaced with a scant 25
watt light and blackout curtains to minimize the chance of an enemy attack on lighthouse. After W.W.II, sightings at the lighthouse
of a mysterious lady in a white flowing gown began emerging among the locals. The popular story was that the woman was in
search of her love who was lost at sea. When she realized that he was not going to return she took her own life by jumping
fro the lighthouse or from the nearby cliff. Of course, there is no known record of a woman committing suicide on the property.*
The ghostly apparitions were likely caused by an unusual reflection of the light as it rotated. In 1971, the lighthouse and
foghorn operations were automated. In 1981, the radio station was decommissioned. The Coast Guard still staffs the lighthouse
and it is open the second Saturday of each month (except March) from 10AM to 3PM. John R. Kielbasa
Interesting note we Tongva have a story about how the "Wavy Top Shell" came into being and the 2 sisters that jumped
off the cliff, so possible tie in with ghost of the lighthouse?